Join our team! All associates receive a 30% discount!
The Backroom Lead role provides critical leadership within a retail store. This role is responsible for creating efficient and safe backroom operations as well as a properly stocked sales floor. The Backroom Lead drives the Company’s freight flow processes in partnership with store team leadership. This role leads the planning, organizing, productivity, as well as training of all store backroom operations. The Backroom Lead works closely with all levels of store leadership, Ad Coordinators, Customer Service Leads, as well as all stock associate and store associate team members.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Protect the Company’s assets. Comply with all Company standard policies, procedures, safety standards, as well as equipment usage rules while performing all job duties.
- Receive all incoming freight to the retail store. Plan, unload, check in, sort, organize, distribute, as well as support the display of all merchandise shipments.
- Maintain effective freight flow. Ensure that the store receiving area remains neat and orderly, including, but not limited to, exterior and interior areas around the store dock.
- Partner with the store leadership team to verify pricing accuracy of all incoming shipments, report errors, report shipping discrepancies, as well as perform daily manifest checks.
- Work closely with store leadership and the Ad Coordinator to identify priority items (e.g., advertised, “Insider,” “hot”) as well as to ensure these goods are available for prompt display on the sales floor.
- Partner with the Ad Coordinator to ensure all merchandise is properly received and ready to be merchandised. Review and correct all “Not On Shelf” merchandise exceptions.
- Organize and maintain Buy Online Ship to Store (BOSS) as well as all other merchandise stored in the receiving area to ensure accessibility.
- Execute the Backroom Carton Tracking Program by ensuring that all committed amounts of marked inventory are consistently moved to the sales floor.
- Effectively handle all Pack aways, Return to Warehouse (RTW), transfers, recalls, damaged returns, as well as other outgoing merchandise in compliance with all Company standard policies and procedures. Follow communication procedures around all returned merchandise.
- Clearly communicate and provide guidance to store team members around all receiving priorities, freight expectations, as well as backroom productivity standards.
- Property maintain and utilize all material handling equipment.
- Train store associates and leadership on backroom processes and standards, including, not limited to bailer equipment training, freight operations, as well as storage standards.
- Ensure that all store stock associates properly handle merchandise and safety equipment. Ensure that all store stock associates adhere to safety requirements.
- Support the store leadership team in orienting new associates, training associates, developing a high performance team, assisting in scheduling, as well as supervising store stock associates. This role may help plan, delegate, and follow up on assignments and training.
- Partner with store leadership and the Customer Service Lead to use store level reporting to ensure BOSS benchmarks are being met. Communicate freight improvement opportunities.
- Play a key role in running the backroom year end inventory including preparation, scanning accuracy, as well as closeouts.
- Organize and control any fixtures stored in or near the receiving area.
- Ensure that the Company’s recycling program is followed correctly.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum 1-3 years of professional experience in other retail environments is required.
- Prior experience in receiving, stocking, maintenance, as well as training in other retail environments is preferred.
- Proficient in email, Qlik, and the Google platform (i.e., Sites, Slides, Drive, Docs, Sheets).
- Effective Communicator: You possess strong communication skills and have the ability to build and maintain a culture of trust and respect.
- Team Oriented: You collaborate as well as work effectively with all team members and leaders. Self-motivated: You can work with a minimum of supervision and be capable of strategically prioritizing multiple tasks in a proactive manner. You understand the tools and processes needed to meet larger strategic initiatives.
- Passionate: You must be passionate about driving and supporting retail store backroom and receiving processes (e.g., BOSS, RTW, Fast Freight Forward).
- Organized: You lead by example in serving all of our stakeholders: customers, owners, communities, and fellow associates.
- Planning: You are able to anticipate and plan for upcoming events (e.g., seasonal freight, RTW). Time Management: You are able to handle multiple projects at once, and can organize multiple projects around given deadlines.
- Leadership: You are a leader and exhibit that in your everyday work. You pride yourself on developing your leadership skills and working with a diverse group of customers and associates.
- Works primarily in a climate controlled environment with minimal safety and health hazard potential. This position may require extended periods of moving, remaining stationary, ascending, descending, and positioning oneself to complete various tasks throughout the shift.
- May be responsible for physical activities including setting and operating a ticket gun, cutting case merchandise, displaying products, counting money, using hand tools and power equipment, ascending or descending a ladder, moving, reaching, and lifting on a frequent basis. Should be able to lift thirty-five (35) lbs on a regular basis.
- Sometimes works in an office environment sitting at a desk, table, or computer workstation for extended periods of time. Sometimes uses near vision for reading and computer tasks.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by supervisors or managers to perform other job duties and tasks, some of which may be essential to the position. Leadership has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract, either express or implied. You are an at-will employee, meaning either you or the Company may terminate your employment at any time, with or without notice.