The receptionist performs clerical duties to support providers and other healthcare workers in the delivery of services to the community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Interacts with patients and members of the care team to provide a range of patient care services. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Greets patients and visitors
- Fields and evaluates telephone calls and in-person encounters and directs callers and visitors to the appropriate personnel
- Secures necessary information and documentation from patients to process visit
- Reviews and updates patient data, medical records, and registration forms with patient
- Assists patient to fill out paperwork if patient is unable to complete
- Obtains referral authorizations as needed
- Coordinates referrals for specialists and external disease management organizations
- Schedules patient appointments according to established office procedures
- Advises patient with routine non-medical instructions in preparation for appointment as per established protocols
- Initiates reminder calls to patients prior to day of service
- Answers non-medical questions within practice guidelines
- Prepares encounter form (superbill) and attaches to medical record
- Files and retrieves medical charts
- Requests payment at time of service and prints daily audit journal
- Performs end-of-day encounter reconciliation
- Obtains and distributes provider schedules for daily team meetings
- Maintains petty cash and reconciles the first of each month
- May be required to travel to other NOTCH sites on an as needed basis
- Participates in Quality Improvement projects under the direction of the Office Manager. Participation may include: participating in a new process or change, providing feedback to the tests of change, and providing suggestions for the next tests of change
- Participates in training sessions, monthly and daily staff meetings
- Performs other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and prioritize work with good organization
- Skill in exercising initiative, judgment, discretion, and decision-making to achieve NOTCH objectives
- Computer skills
- Ability to function within a team environment to achieve stated objectives
EDUCATION / High School Diploma or GED
EXPERIENCE / One year in a medical or business office preferred.
PHYSICAL EMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accomodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust and focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
MACHINERY AND EQUIPMENT USED
Personal computer and printer, copier, typewriter, credit card machine, calculator, telephone, automobile, and facsimile machine