Museum Guide Coordinator
Position Type: Year-round, Full-time, Staff position
Reports to: Director of Education
Salary range: $40,000 – 55,000
The Museum Guide Coordinator recruits, on-boards, trains, supervises, and supports a seasonal visitor guide staff of 60-75 and a large, institution-wide volunteer corps. This position will also manage, expand, and oversee Group Tour bookings, an integral component of the Museum’s annual visitation.
Essential Job Functions:
Guide & Volunteer Coordination
- Coordinate hiring of seasonal visitor guides and volunteers – work with HR to recruit applicants then screen, conduct interviews, and determine best placements
- Provide ongoing training and professional development opportunities for visitor guide team and volunteers, with special emphasis on promoting awareness of Shelburne’s collections/exhibitions and best practices for making the museum more diverse, equitable, accessible, and inclusive for staff, volunteer, and visitors.
- Create and manage guide staffing schedule.
- Oversee guide payroll.
- Maintain records of volunteer activity.
- Evaluate staff and volunteer performance in coordination with Human Resources.
- Recognize visitor guides and volunteers for service.
- Develop tools for regular communication with visitor guides and volunteers.
- Develop community outreach strategies for recruiting a diverse group of guides and volunteers.
- Assist with large-scale events organized by Education or other departments (community days, symposia, members’ events, Winter Lights, etc.)
- Occasional weekend, evening, and holiday work will be required.
Group Tour Coordination
- Partner with tour companies to plan and host group visits.
- Prepare paperwork for group tour payment, coordinate visit logistics with Store staff, and provide documentation to Finance department.
- Implement, track, and share tour calendar with Café, Security, and Store. Communicate with other Museum departments as necessary.
- Train, schedule, and manage group tour greeters.
- Work with curators and art handlers to coordinate private tours.
- Maintain communication with Finance department regarding invoices, payments, and balances due.
- Maintain relationships with Vermont Attractions Association (VAA), Vermont Tourism Network (VTN), VT State Department of Tourism, and ski areas; cultivate new relationships with relevant agencies and organizations.
- Partner with Visitor Services to review and update motel/lodging vouchers.
- Assist with the development and distribution of tour group packages.
- Other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
4 year degree in education, art, history, museum studies, American studies or similar. Commensurate professional experience will be considered.
- 3-5 years staff and volunteer management experience, in the museum field preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Skilled in community outreach – schools, colleges, community groups, and businesses, etc. – for recruitment purposes
- Comfort with public speaking and adult learning and instruction
- Proficiency with Microsoft suite essential; experience with database and time tracking software preferred
- Previous staff and/or volunteer management experience
- Ability to work and collaborate intra- and inter-departmentally
- Commitment to building community and promoting diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion through the arts (demonstrated experience in these areas highly desirable)
Shelburne Museum is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. Shelburne Museum and The Source and Recruit Company do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.