Full Job Description
UPMC is currently seeking a Part-Time Lab Support Technician at the Williamsport Campus! This position will work approximately 20 hours per week on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shifts as scheduled, so flexibility is desired. Additionally, there is a rotating weekend and holiday requirement that consists of the 3rd shift every other weekend, and 3rd shift on the evening of the scheduled holidays. Prior laboratory experience is a plus!
Note that this role requires a full-time (40 hour per week) 6-8 week training period.
Prepare, process, clean and maintain the supply of glassware and equipment related to laboratory functions and procedures. Clean laboratory countertops and sinks, and other equipment regularly.
Demonstrate a working knowledge of different equipment used. Operate oven dryer to dry glassware. Operate water deionizer unit. Operate pipette washer.
- Prepare working stock of various laboratory solutions. Prepare specimen collection supplies and other supplies for physicians’ offices and off-campus lab sites. Keep Operating Room and Outpatient Procedure Unit stocked with formalin-filled containers and other requested items.
- Perform specialized cleaning procedures; secure and wash all items by use of prescribed techniques and by the use of disinfectants.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) at all times. Perform support functions. Transport specimens, requisitions, and report to the appropriate areas.
- Inventory, requisition, and restock cleaning and other supplies as needed. File laboratory reports and slides. Follow UPMC and Laboratory Policies Attend meetings and in-service programs as required.
- Keep storeroom orderly. Test and clean emergency showers and eyewash station; keep records of this activity.
- Demonstrate knowledge of proper disposal. Sort laboratory waste and ensure that it is directed to the proper area for disposal. Dispose of clinical specimens. Perform clerical duties accurately and effectively.
- Defrost and clean refrigerators, clean cabinets, water baths, and other selected items of equipment in various laboratory sections. Examine glassware for cleanliness and breakage.
- Test glassware, pipettes and acid-washed items for acidity. Inventory, requisition, and restock supplies as needed.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment.
- High school diploma. Ability to receive, comprehend, and carry out instructions. Ability to work safely with equipment, supplies, and materials. Ability to comply with attendance requirements. Ability to comply with personnel policies.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
Act 31 Child Abuse Reporting with renewal
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
- UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran