Direct Support Professional ($21/hr)
Sign-on Bonus of $500
Make a difference and a living!
Families First is hiring for several Direct Support Professionals in the Brattleboro, Wilmington and Dover, VT areas.
We are seeking individuals who are empathetic, compassionate, and can think on their feet. Experience working with developmental disabilities is a plus but not required. You will receive paid training and have a strong support network of human service professionals.
The starting pay is $21 an hour. Families First offer a competitive benefits package to our full-time employees. The average value of benefits received is over $13,500 a year within the first year of employment. The value of the benefits goes up the longer you’re employed.
Reliable transportation and a valid Driver’s License are required, as you will be traveling throughout Windham County. Comfort with personal care (bathing, wiping, medication administration, and general hygiene) is recommended.
Must be able to pass background checks and have 2-3 successful professional references.
1. Develop and maintain a relationship with the individual assigned to you in a community-based program.
2. Communicate with parents and other team members regularly, particularly around issues related to the community-based program and general day-to-day care
3. The Direct Support Professional will discuss scheduling with the family and clarify their availability. The DSP will communicate with the Service Coordinator and Scheduling Coordinator about scheduling changes.
4.Participate in monthly team meetings regarding the case.
5. The DSP is responsible for all paperwork required and reads and understands the goals of the Individual Support Agreement. The DSP understands their role in assisting the individual with the goals of the ISA.
6. Have technical knowledge. Families First utilizes the Carelogic database daily to log time worked, write progress notes, and address a self-advocates goals.
7. Has a good understanding of the individual’s needs and has completed the pre-service training. Attend mandatory Medical Administration Training annually and attend required First Aid and Crisis Prevention Trainings every two years.
8. Communicate regularly with office staff at Families First around any duties, clinical issues, questions, concerns, and/or follow-up concerning the community program.
9. Develop an understanding of the diagnosis and its impact on the individual, and keep updating that understanding as necessary.
10. Maintain a Valid Driver’s License.
About Families First: Founded in 1996, Families First is a (501) non-profit organization committed to helping adults and youth with intellectual and developmental disabilities in Windham County in southeastern Vermont.
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- Health Reimbursement Account
- Retirement Fund
- Flexible Spending Account
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Vacation Days
- Paid Sick Days
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Dependent Care Account
- Professional Development
SICK TIME: Employees may use sick leave for personal illness, well-care, and medical and dental appointments. Employees may also use sick leave for sickness and well-care of their immediate family. Sick leave may be accrued to a maximum number of hours based on the employee’s schedule. At the end of the year, sick time rolls over to the following year.
ACCRUAL OF VACATION TIME: Full-time Employees will accrue paid vacation time. Families First will pay vacation time at the employee’s base rate when the leave is taken. At the end of the year, vacation time rolls over to the following year.
PAID HOLIDAYS for full-time employees(FT starts @30/hrs)
Medical and Dental Insurance:
Families First offer full-time employees affordable medical and dental insurance coverage options after 30 days of employment. Families First also provides insurance for employees’ spouses and families to employees enrolled in the health insurance plan at the employee’s expense.
HEALTH REIMBURSEMENT ACCOUNT/ HEALTHY DOLLARS
Families First also provides HRA accounts to eligible full-time employees. An employer-funded account helps employees pay for qualified medical expenses not covered by their health plan. Families First put $2,500.00 in the HRA account on the 1st of the year.
Families First offers a voluntary pre-tax salary reduction plan for full-time employees who are 21 years of age who may elect to participate beginning with the first payroll period administratively feasible after one year of uninterrupted employment. The Plan is a 403(b) Tax-sheltered Annuity administered by The Richards Group. An amount the employee decides is deducted from their bi-monthly paycheck. Families First will match 100% of your first 3% of compensation.
Employee Assistance Program:
Through the Employee Assistance Program, Families First provides confidential access to professional counseling services for help in confronting occupational or personal problems such as family, financial, or legal troubles and job or co-worker concerns at no cost to the employees or family members. EAP is available to all employees and immediate family members residing in their households, offering problem assessment, short-term counseling, and referral to appropriate community and private services.
Flexible Spending Account:
As part of the agency’s Flexible Benefits Plan, we currently offer full-time employees an employee-funded flexible spending account (FSA). Participants may elect an annual amount of pre-tax dollars to pay for eligible health care expenses, including medical or dental insurance deductibles, copayments, and out-of-pocket costs.
Dependent Care Account
As part of the company’s Flexible Benefits Plan, we offer regular full-time employees an employee-funded dependent care account (DCA). Participants may elect an annual amount of flexible pre-tax dollars to pay for eligible dependent care expenses, including custodial care (da care) of a dependent. Typical costs include; daycare, after-school care, Pre-K, and day camps.
Families First may reimburse for professional development classes relevant to an employee’s current position within the organization. Employees should discuss professional development opportunities with their supervisors. The agency also offers several online professional development platforms that are nationally recognized and geared toward further professionalizing our workforce and earning credentials in the field.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: From $21.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Night shift
- Do you know American Sign Language?
- Do you have experience supporting individuals with developmental disabilities? If so, how many years?
- Are you fully vaccinated against COVID-19? (Please note that being unboosted is considered NOT fully vaccinated and will restrict the number of hours we have available for you as some guardians request fully vaccinated staff.)
- Are you comfortable with personal care? (Hygiene support, bathing, wiping, medication administration)
Education: / High school or equivalent (Required)
Experience: / Direct Support Professional: 1 year (Preferred)
License/Certification: / Driver’s License (Required)
Work Location: In person