Full Job Description
This position performs burial and cremation functions in the City of Rochester cemetery system. Employees work under the general supervision of a Cemetery Operations Supervisor. Related work is performed as required.
CITY RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED WITHIN ONE YEAR OF HIRE
Typical Work Activities
Performs identification check and completes documentation prior to initiation of the cremation process;
- Loads retort, operates cremation equipment and processes remains in a safe and appropriate manner, and in accordance with City Cemetery Code and New York State laws;
- Performs record keeping functions relative to cremations and disposal of remains;
- Marks graves location to the accuracy of one inch;
- Digs new graves, trims grave interiors, positions the casket lowering device, backfills and tamps graves;
- Removes crypt/niche front, inters casket or urn in mausoleum/columbarium, closes and seals crypt or niche;
- Disinters caskets and human remains for removal to new graves;
- Lays foundations for headstones or monuments;
- Straightens existing headstones and repairs foundations;
- Mows grass; trims weeds from around headstones, buildings, and flower beds;
- Pickups up litter and empties litter baskets;
- Operates any motorized equipment as well as other equipment used in the performance of required duties;
- Removes snow, ice, leaves, and other debris from roads, parking lots, walkways, and building entrances;
- Leads labor crews in the maintenance of grounds.
High School Diploma or GED; PLUS
One (1) year of experience working in a cemetery performing grounds maintenance that included the operation of motorized equipment.
1.Possession of a New York State Class D Motor Vehicle license at the time of appointment. Licensure must be maintained throughout employment.
2.Successful completion of cremation certification course approved by the New York State Division of Cemeteries within twelve (12) months of appointment.
For full-time employees: / The City of Rochester offers a complete benefits package to full-time employees including health care, dental, vision, retirement, deferred compensation plans, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, long-term disability, holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
For less-than full-time employees: / The City of Rochester offers numerous growth opportunities to include the potential to transition into full-time, permanent employment.