Animal Care Specialist / Urgent Hire
$12 an hour
Full Job Description
Organization: The Jefferson County SPCA
Mission: The Jefferson County SPCA (JCSPCA) has offered animal shelter services to the North Country Region of upstate New York since its incorporation in 1891. The JCSPCA’s mission as a 501(c)(3) non-profit, no kill animal shelter, is to promote the humane treatment of animals through raising community awareness; offering educational programming to increase responsible pet ownership; promoting veterinary services to aid in animal population control; and maintaining the highest level of excellence in shelter services to maximize the number of successful animal adoptions each year.
Job Title: Animal Care Specialist
Job Description: Provides care for sheltered animals. Treats animals with kindness and respect and seeks to socialize in order to make them more adoptable. Maintains a clean and sanitary environment for shelter animals and performs other duties as necessary.
Status: Full-Time, 35-40 hours
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring that the animals have ample, fresh food and water always
- Perform daily, thorough cleaning of all animals and their kennels
- Provides enrichment and playtime
- Aids in administering treatment to animals under veterinary staff or upper management guidance
- Reports significant changes in animal health and behavior to the veterinary staff
- Janitorial duties including, but not limited to: laundry, dishes, trash removal, window washing, outdoor maintenance and grounds keeping, sweeping/mopping public areas
- Assist as needed with animals intakes, behavioral assessments and medical intakes
- Makes and conducts appointments for adoptions.
- Acts as a counselor answering any questions the potential adopter has about the animal and general animal care.
- Provide office help as needed including answering phones, emails and scheduling appointments
- Ensure the restocking and cleanliness of all areas.
- Ensure all chemicals are used/handled properly and safely
- Treating all animals humanely, properly, and with compassion at all times, regardless of the situation or circumstance
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Work experience of some kind in animal welfare would be ideal
- Must possess strong organizational, telephone and verbal communication skills.
- Is required to handle multiple tasks at once
- A passion for animal welfare
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- There will be exposure to dust, heat, cold and temperature changes, occasional wet floors, odors, dander and animal noises.
- Most time will be spent in a typical air conditioned and heated office environment.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $12.00 per hour
- Employee discount
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
To keep our staff safe, the JCSPCA requires 24-7 mask usage, mandatory temperature checks, and appointment based business with the public only.
Work Location: / Multiple locations
Pay Frequency: / Weekly
Company’s website: / www.jeffersoncountyspca.org
Company’s Facebook page:
Work Remotely: / No